This mixture can be used to stuff baked apples, make mince pies and Christmas micemeat slices.
- 4oz Currants
- 8oz Raisins
- 8oz Sultanas
- 2oz Chopped Candied Peel
- 1lb Cooking Apples, coursely chopped
- 8oz White Vegetable Fat
- 1 level tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 level tsp Mixed Spice
- ½ level tsp Nutmeg
- 8oz Soft Brown Sugar (light muscovado)
- Grated zest and Juice of 1 large Lemon
- Grated zest and Juice of 1 large Orange
- 3floz Rum or Brandy
- 3floz Sweet Sherry or Port
- Clean and wash the dried fruit in boiling water. Drain and dry thoroughly.
- Skin and core the apples. Chop the raisins, sultanas and apples and mix with the currants, candied peel, spices, sugar and zest from orange and lemon.
- Heat the white vegetable fat until liquid and stir into the other ingredients. Add the orange and lemon juice, the spirits and sherry or port and mix.
- Put the mincemeat into clean sterilised jars to mature.
It will keep in a cool place for at least six months. The mixture can also be frozen in cartons until ready to use.