Viennese Apple Pie
- 40 minutes
- 4oz chilled butter
- 6oz self raising flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- pinch of salt
- 1lb cooking apples
- 4 tbsp apricot jam
- 1 white of egg (stiffly beaten)
- 2oz caster sugar
- 2oz ground almonds
- Put prepared apples in saucepan and cook over low heat until tender (or cook in microwave oven for 3-4 minutes). Leave to cool.
- Make pastry by rubbing butter into flour and salt until breadcrumbs are formed. Mix together the milk and egg yolk and add to pastry. Mix to a smooth dough, wrap in clingfilm and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out two thirds of pastry and use to line an 8" pie dish. Cover base with apricot jam.
- Fold egg white into apple and and spread into the base. Scatter the rest of the sugar/almonds onto the apple.
- Use rest of pastry to cover the pie. Crimp the edges and use the trimmings to decorate the pie. Brush with milk.
- Bake in pre-heated oven Gas5, 190C, 375F until golden brown.
Nicest served cold with cream.
Editors note: This is not a typo - there is no "cooking time" specified on this recipe! If anyone bakes this and could let us know how long roughly it takes, that'd be fab!