Toffee, Pear & Walnut Flan
- 6oz Shortcrust Pastry, made with butter, egg yolk and 2 tbsp Sugar
- 3 ½ fl oz Milk
- 1 ½ oz Plain Flour
- 6oz Demerara Sugar
- 5oz Butter
- 4 Medium Sized Ripe Pears (or small tin)
- 3oz Chopped Walnuts or Pecan Nuts
- ½ Pint Whipped Double Cream
- Make pastry and chill for 30 minutes. Use to line an 8" flan tin and bake blind for about 15 minutes at 350F, 180C, Gas Mark 4.
- To prepare toffee, mix milk and flour in a saucepan until smooth. Add sugar and butter and bring slowly to the boil, stirring. Turn off heat and leave to cool.
- Whip cream until thick and place half in base of flan. Arrange pear sliced over the flan.
- Pour toffee over pears and leave to go quite cold.
- Pipe remaining cream in two circles around flan and fill spaces with chopped walnuts or pecan nuts.
Would not recommend freezing, but bases can be made two or three days beforehand and then filled.