St. Nicholas Cocktails
A starter is not often necessary before the Christmas dinner but here is one which might fit the bill.
- 1 tin of mandarin oranges
- 1 large melon
- 6 fl oz fresh orange juice
- Rind of a large orange
- 2oz caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2oz stemmed ginger, chopped
- 1 small jar maraschino cherries
- Dice or ball melon and place in a bowl. Add mandarin oranges, drained cherries and chopped ginger.
- Heat orange juice, sugar, ground ginger and orange rind over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Cool.
- Pour mixture over fruit and leave to chill.
- Serve in stemmed glasses which have been frosted by dipping the rims in lemon juice and then caster sugar.
To freeze: put into suitable containers and freeze for up to three months. Thaw at room temperature, stir and serve as above.