Scrumpy Chicken Casserole
We found that this went really well with cider baked potatoes!
- 30 mins
- 1 hour
- 4-6 Pieces Chicken
- 1 Large Chopped Onion
- 4oz Button Mushrooms
- 1oz Flour
- ½ Pint Unsweetened Apple Juice
- ¼ Pint Chicken Stock
- 2-3 tbsp Cream (optional)
- 1 small Red Pepper
- 2oz Butter
- 1 level tsp Dry Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- Croutons if wished
- Melt butter in large pan and fry chicken until golden brown. Drain and place in a casserole.
- Add onions and pepper to pan and cook until soft. Add mushrooms and cook a further 5 minutes. Add to casserole.
- Add a little more butter to pan and add flour, cook a minute scraping up sediment.
- Remove from heat and add juice and stock. Blend well and then return to heat to boil and thicken. Season to taste and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook for one hour or until tender at Gas 4, Elec 350.
- Stir in cream and scatter on parsley. Decorate with croutons if desired.
This amount of sauce was more than enough for 4 pieces of chicken (thighs and drumsticks). We'd recommend using the recipe amounts for 6 pieces and reducing a bit for less.