Raspberry Cheese Charlotte
- 20-24 sponge fingers
- 8oz raspberries
- Juice of 1 orange
- 3oz caster sugar
- 8oz full fat soft cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tbspn brandy
- ¾ oz powdered gelatine
- 5 tbspn water
- ½ pt double or whipping cream
- Trim one end of each sponge finger so that it has a flat base.
- Moisten the sponge fingers with a little sherry and use to line the sides of a lightly-greased, loose-bottomed 7-8" round cake tin.
- The sponge fingers standing upright, sugar side against the tin, should touch so that the sides of the tin are completely lined.
- Put the gelatine and hot water into a small heatproof bowl over a saucepan of hot water and allow to dissolve.
- Put the raspberries into the blender with the orange juice and sugar and blend until smooth.
- Soften the cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat in the egg yolks, brandy, and raspberry puree.
- Lightly whip the cream. Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Stir dissolved gelatine in the cheese and raspberry mixture.
- Fold the cream and egg whites lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture.
- Spoon into the sponge-lined tin. Chill for 3-4 hours or until the filling is set.
- Carefully ease the sides of the tin away from the charlotte and lift the set charlotte out on the tin base.
Decorate with piped cream and raspberries.