Prawns in Alabama Sauce
A starter is not often necessary before the Christmas dinner but here is one which might fit the bill. This is a deluxe version of a prawn cocktail. I am asked to make this every Christmas and sometimes long for a change.
- ½ red pepper
- 4 sticks of celery, diced
- 12oz prawns
- 5 fl oz whipped double cream
- 5 fl oz mayonnaise
- A few drops of tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed (optional)
- Shredded lettuce to serve
- Make the dressing by combining all the sauce ingredients together. Chill.
- Shred lettuce and place a little in the base of each glass dish.
- Combine pepper, celery and prawns. Add dressing and mix together. Pile on top of lettuce.
- Decorate with whole prawns if possible and a wedge of lemon.
- Serve with brown bread and butter.
This can be made the day before needed and then assembled prior to the meal.