Pear and Almond Tart
A lovely pudding for the winter, although served cold with whipped cream is equally delightful.
- 40 minutes
- 30-40 minutes
- 5oz Plain Flour
- 3oz Butter
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoons of Caster Sugar
- approx 1 tablespoon Water
- pinch of salt
- 15oz Can Pear halves, drained
- 3oz Margarine
- 3oz Caster Sugar
- 1 beaten Egg
- 1 ½ oz Self Raising Flour
- 2oz Ground Almonds
- Few drops Almond Essence
- ½oz Flaked Almonds
- ½oz Chopped Glacé Cherries
- 1 tablespoon Demerara Sugar
- For pastry, rub butter into flour and salt. Mix together sugar and egg yolk with sufficient water to make a dough. Rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out and line a shallow, 7 1/2 or 8 inch flan tin.
- Drain and dry pears. Cut in slices and arrange in the tin.
- Cream margarine and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in egg a little at a time. Fold in flour, ground almonds and essence.
- Spread mixture over pears. Smooth top and sprinkle on almonds, cherries and demerera sugar.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, gas mark 5, 375F, 190C or until filling has risen firm and golden.
Serve hot or cold with cream.