This is a great favourite with the Inglewood Infants School staff. No wonder she can't lose weight! (sic)
- 45 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 6oz Self Raising Flour
- 6oz Wholemeal Flour
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 6oz hard Margarine
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 14oz can Tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano
- 2 level tablespoons Tomato Puree
- 4oz Lean Cooked Ham, Chopped OR 7 and a half can Tuna fish, drained
- 8oz red Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 2oz Mushrooms, sliced and lightly fried
- Egg wash to glaze
- Make up shortcrust pastry and chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut off one third of pastry and reserve. Use the rest to line a 13" by 9" Swiss Roll tin or tray. Prick the base and crimp the edges.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in tomatoes, puree, oregano and seasoning. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until thick. Cool.
- Spoon mixture into tin and cover with strips of ham or flaked tuna. Scatter on the grated cheese.
- Roll out remaining pastry and cut into thin, equal strips. Use to make a lattice over flan. Brush with egg wash and bake for 10 minutes at gas8, 450E, 230C. Lower heat to gas6, 400E, 200C and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Place a piece of mushroom in each section of the lattice. Serve warm or cold.
Will freeze well in suitable containers for 3 months.