Oranges in Cointreau
These make a nice refreshing end to a nice Christmas dinner.
- 6 Oranges (thin skinned ones are best)
- 6oz Caster Sugar
- ¼pt Water
- Juice of half a large lemon
- Miniature bottle of Cointreau (or a wine glass)
- Mark the peel of the oranges into quarters with a sharp knife and place the fruit in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave for 5 minutes.
- Drain and peel the oranges. Doing it this way, the oranges peel easily, complete with the pith.
- Slice oranges thinly accross the fruit. Remove seeds and place oranges in a serving dish.
- Measure sugar and water into a small pan. Stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil and then simmer for three minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and Cointreau. Cool slightly and then pour over the oranges. Cover and chill until required.
- Serve with Cream or Ice Cream.
This may be made in advance and frozen in suitable containers.