Make this as a change from the usual mince pies. Best made with butter and stored in an air-tight tin.
- 15 minutes
- 20-25 minutes
- 8 - 10
- 6oz self raising flour
- 3oz caster sugar
- 3oz butter
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 12oz mincemeat
- caster sugar to dredge
- Sift together flour and spice. Rub in butter until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Well-grease a 7 inch square baking tin and press in half the shortcake mixture, making sure it is level and goes right to the edges of the tin.
- Gently spread the mincemeat over. You want a nice even layer but not too thick.
- Scatter on the rest of the shortcake crumbs and press down gently.
- With a fork, lightly mark over the top with even lines.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas 4, 200C for 20-25 minutes until set and golden. Cut into fingers while still warm and leave to cool before lifting onto a wire tray. Sprinkle with caster sugar.