- 40-50 minutes
- 8oz Wheatmeal flour (or 4oz white/4oz wholemeal)
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 2oz White Vegetable Fat
- 2oz Margarine
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Water to mix
- 9 inch flan tin
- 1 large Onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 14oz Can Tomatoes
- 1 level tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 level tspn Mixed Herbs or Oregano
- Pepper and Salt to season
- 2oz Mozarella Cheese, grated
- Set oven at 200C, 400F Gas mark 6
- Sift flour and cinnamon into a bowl
- Rub in fat, stir in the egg and enough water to bind to a soft dough
- Roll out pastry and line tin, prick base and bake flan case 'blind' for approx 15 minutes. Remove foil or baking beans and place back in oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Prepare filling - fry onion in the oil in a frying pan until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, puree, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 mins to reduce liquid.
- Spoon mixture into the baked flan case. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
Garnish with sliced tomato and a sprig of parsley.