Hot cross buns
- 30 minutes plus 45 minutes for proving
- 15 minutes
- makes 20
- 1 ½ lbs strong plain flour
- 1tsp salt
- 3tsp mixed spice
- 2oz butter
- 1 sachet easy blend yeast
- 2oz soft light brown sugar
- 12floz milk (reserve 4 tablespoons)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 4oz currants
- 2oz peel
- 5oz plain flour
- 8tbsp water (for crosses)
- Sift flour, salt and spice into a mixing bowl
- Rub in butter then stir in yeast and soft brown sugar.
- Warm milk until blood-heat (sic). Stir in eggs and currants.
- Add to flour and knead until smooth dough.
- Divide into 20 equal pieces and knead each lightly into balls. Arrange well apart on 2 greased trays. Cover with lightly oiled cling film and leave to prove (around 45 minutes).
- Mix plain flour and water to smooth thick paste and spoon into a quarter inch plain tube bag. Pipe cross on each bun. Cook for 15 minutes at 200C or until golden and firm.
- Put milk and caster sugar in small pan and heat gently until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and boil until syrupy. Brush over hot buns.
Can freeze in a sealed bag for up to 3 months.