Ham and Cheese Savoury Slices
Christmas time is party time - this recipe would be suitable for the buffet table or as finger food at an informal gathering. This will freeze, which will be handy for the busy housewife (sic).
- 20 minutes
- 20-25 minutes
- 12oz Puff Pastry
- 4oz Strong Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 small Onion, grated
- 3 rashers of Bacon
- 4oz Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Chutney
- Egg wash (beaten egg and water) to glaze
- Cut pastry in half and roll each piece into a rectangle 12" by 8". Trim edges and place one piece onto an oiled and wetted baking sheet.
- Lightly fry bacon and mushrooms. Place in a bowl, add grated onion, cheese, chutney and seasoning. Mix.
- Spread this filling to an inch from the edges. Brush edges with egg wash.
- Place the other pastry rectangle on top of the filling and seal edges. Slash the top decoratively all over and brush slice with egg wash. Bake for 20-25 minutes at Gas7, 425E, 220C until golden.
- Cut into slices and serve hot or cold.
This slice will freeze for 3 months. Thaw at room temperature and reheat for 10 minutes at the above temperature.