Gammon or Bacon Chops with Cumberland Sauce
- 10 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 4 Gammon Steaks or 4 Bacon Chops
- 1 Orange and 1 Lemon
- 8 Tablespoons Redcurrant Jelly
- 8 Tablspoons Port
- 2 Teaspoons Arrowroot
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
- WaterCress & Orange Slices to garnish
- Brush Gammon or bacon chops with oil or butter and either fry, bake or grill until tender. To bake Gas5, 375C, 190C for about 1/2 an hour. Keep Warm.
- Cut rind from orange and lemon and cut into shreds. Put in a small bowl and pour over boiling water. Leave to stand for about 5 mins. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Squeeze juice from orange and lemon and put in a pan with redcurrant jelly and port. Gently melt and bland over low heat.
- Mix arrowroot with water and add to pan. Bring to boil stirring. Remove from heat and add fruit rinds.
- Arrange gammon or bacon chops on serving dish, pour over a little of the sauce and garnish. Serve rest of sauce seperately.
This sauce is lovely served cold with baked ham or at Christmas with cold turkey.
Keeps about 3 weeks in the fridge.