This is a light and fruity start to a meal. It freezes very well and so is a useful standby for Christmas meals.
- 20 minutes
- 1 tin Manderin Oranges, drained
- 1 large Melon made into balls
- 6oz fresh Orange Juice
- rind of Large Orange
- 2oz Caster Sugar
- ½ tsp Ground Ginger
- 2oz Stem Ginger, chopped (optional - can use 4oz grapes instead)
- small jar Maraschino Cherries - drained
- Heat orange juice, rind, sugar and ground ginger in a pan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place melon balls in a large dish and add drained oranges, drained cherries and finely chopped ginger.
- Pour over the orange syrup and leave to go cold.
- Serve in long stemmed glasses.
To freeze, put into a suitable container and freeze for up to three months. Thaw at room temperatur, stir and serve.
To add a festive touch, before filling dip the rims of the glasses in lemon juice and then dip in caster sugar. Leave to set and the glass takes on a "frosted" look.