Farmhouse Cheddar Soup
A great favourite of the family. Quick to make and very warming.
- 1 large grated carrot
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 ½oz butter
- ½tsp dry mustard
- ½tsp paprika
- 2 pints of chicken stock
- ¼pt milk
- 2tsp cornflour
- 4oz grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped parsley.
- black pepper
- salt if necessary
- Melt butter in large pan and add grated carrot and chopped onion.
- Saute over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock, mustard, pepper and paprika. Stir well and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend cornflour with a little of the milk - add to rest of milk and stir into soup.
- Bring to the boil, stirring and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the grated cheese. Stir until melted. Season if necessary and add chopped parsley. If you need the soup thinner, add more milk or stock.
Can be frozen after step 3. Defrost and continue from step 4.