Eastern Lentil Soup
Modern day ingredients have helped to give a more exciting finish to old favourites. Here we have an old favourite (lentil soup) given a touch of the east. Photo courtesy of Alex H.
- 45 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of Oil
- 1 tablespoon Mild Curry Powder
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 1 Chopped Carrot
- 2 Pints Vegetable Stock
- 1oz Creamed Coconut
- 1 Stick of Celery, Chopped
- 6oz Red Lentils, Washed
- ¼ Pint Single Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat oil in a large pan and add onion, carrot and celery.
- Sauté slowly until vegetables are tender but not coloured.
- Stir in curry powder and cook for a few minutes. Add washed lentils and stock, bring slowly to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Break up the creamed coconut and add to pan. Stir until melted and season to taste.
- If a smooth soup is required, liquidize at this stage. Return to rinsed pan and add cream and parsley. Bring up to heat but do not boil.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Once made this soup freezes well.