This is one of my own recipes, concocted while I was staying in Scotland and using some of their beautiful beef.
- 1 ½ - 2 lbs good braising Steak, cubed
- 1 ½ oz Flour
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 3 Tablespoons Oil
- Black Pepper
- 14 oz Can Chopped Tomatoes
- Few drops tabasco sauce
- 10 floz Beef Stock
- 3 Tablespoons Marmalade
- 12 Peeled Pickling Onions
- 8oz Sliced Mushrooms
- 2-3 Carrots, Peeled and Chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 Chopped Red Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Whiskey, optional
- Heat oil in large casserole, fry meat in batches until sealed, remove to a dish.
- Fry carrots, onions and red pepper in oil left in casserole and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add meat and juices to casserole and mix well. Add flour, pepper and ground ginger and cook for about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes , marmalade, tabasco sauce, beef stock, balsamic vinegar, garlic and mushrooms. Stir together and place lid on casserole.
- Cook for about 3 hours at gas mark 3, 150C, 325F. Stif in Whiskey if desired, serve with jacket potato and a green vegetable. Add salt to taste at end of cooking.
This freezes well.