Cranberry Beef Casserole
Casseroles are a good standby in the freezer. They can be brought out and used during the hectic build up to Christmas. The next recipe would be suitable for Christmas Eve dinner.
- 2 hours 45 minutes
- 1 ½lbs lean braising steak, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2oz plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ pint beef stock
- 12 pickling onions
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 x 6 ½oz jar of cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6oz mushrooms, sliced
- Mix together the flour, basil and cinnamon. Toss the cubed beef in this mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry off the beef until sealed. Put into a casserole dish.
- Add pickling onions , which have cloves stuck in, into the large pan and cook to brown. Add any remaining flour mix and cook for a minute. Add the stock. Stir to thicken.
- Pour over steak and cook for about 2 hours at gas 3 / 325 elec / 170c.
- Stir in cranberry sauce, lemon juice and mushrooms. Cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Season to taste. Garnish with parsley.
Can be frozen. Defrost fully before reheating at above temperature for 30 minutes.