Cranberry and Pear Trifle
- 20 minutes plus chilling time
- 1lb cranberries
- 4 floz water
- 3oz soft light brown sugar
- 1lb ripe dessert pears
- 2 tsp arrowroot
- ½ pint custard
- ¼ pint whipped cream
- 2 tbsp rum
- toasted almonds
- 6 trifle sponges
- Put cranberries, sugar, and water in a pan, and heat gently until sugar dissolves.
- Peel, core, and slice pears, and add to cranberries. Cover and cook gently for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have popped and pears are tender.
- Mix arrowroot (or cornflour) to a smooth paste with a little water and add to pan (off heat). Return to heat and boil for 2 minutes, add rum and leave to cool.
- Put a layer of split sponges in base of trifle dish, then a layer of blackcurrants and repeat layers. Chill well.
- Spread over the custard and then the cream, and scatter over with toasted almonds.