Christmas Tea Bread
Tea breads are good standbys for the freezer but will also keep well in a tin box for a couple of weeks. This one improves with keeping.
- 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1lb mixed dried fruit
- 2oz glace cherries, chopped
- ½ pint strong cold tea
- 6oz demerara sugar
- 3 level tablespoons orange marmalade
- Juice and rind of an orange
- 1 beaten egg
- 12oz self raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
- Icing sugar to dredge
- Infuse two teabags in 1/2 a pint of boiling water and leave to go cold.
- Place cold tea, dried fruit and cherries in a basin. Cover and leave overnight.
- Preheat oven to Gas 4 / 350 elec / 180c.
- Add sugar, marmalade, orange rind and juice to dried fruit. Add beaten egg.
- Sift flour and spice together and fold into mixture. Beat well.
- Turn into a greased and base-lined 2lb loaf tin and smooth top.
- Bake for 1hour and 45 minutes until firm and cake leaves side of tin. Cool in tin.
- Turn out onto a wire tray and leave to go cold. Dredge generously with icing sugar before serving.
Serve thinly sliced with butter or rum butter.