Christmas Eve Casserole
- 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1 ½ lbs Lean braising steak, cubed
- 1 tspn Dried Basil
- ¼ tspn Cinnamon
- Salt and Pepper
- 2oz Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¾ Pint Beef Stock
- 12 Pickling Onions
- 6 Whole Cloves (stick cloves in onions)
- 6oz Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 medium Carrots, diced
- 1 x 6.5oz jar Cranberry Sauce
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Heat oil in large pan and saute meat to seal. Remove to casserole.
- Add carrot, pepper and onions and cook for a few minutes, remove to casserole.
- Add flour, basil and cinnamon to juices in pan and cook a minute. Add stock and cook until thickened. Pour over steak, mix well and cook in low oven gas 3, 325F, 170C for about 2 hours.
- Add sliced mushrooms and stir in cranberry sauce and lemon juice. Season and return to oven for a further 30 minutes or until tender.
Freeze in suitable containers and label. Thaw completely and reheat at gas 3, 325F, 170C for 30 minutes.