This chutney is delicious served with cold meats and poultry. Make it festive by covering the tops of the jars with festive paper cut into rounds with pinking shears. Why not make double quantity and give some away as presents? This recipe gives a yielf of about 3lb of chutney.
- 20 minutes
- 1.5 hours
- 1oz Butter
- 12oz Finely Chopped Onion
- 1lb Cooking Apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 level teaspoon Mixed Spice
- 12oz Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
- 1lb Light Soft Brown Sugar
- ¾pint White Vinegar
- Melt butter in a large heavy-based pan. Add onions, apples and spice. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add cranberries and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Add vinegar and bring to boil stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1.5 hours, stirring occasionally until a thick consistency has been reached.
- Wash and dry jam jars and place on a baking sheet in a very low oven temperature to heat through.
- Add hot chutney to jars, filling right to the top. Put on waxed disc and leave to cool. Cover with lids or decorative tops.
- Store in a cool, dark cupboard.
Fresh cranberries appear in the shops late November.