Casseroles are a good standby in the freezer. They can be brought out and used during the hectic build up to Christmas. The next recipe would be suitable for Christmas Eve dinner. I don't know how this recipe was named but the end result is excellent.
- 1 1/4 hours
- 1 ½lbs fresh chicken, cubed
- 3oz butter or 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 level tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 5 level tablespoons tomato sauce
- 5 fl oz water
- 1 chicken Oxo cube
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons Worcester sauce
- 4oz mushrooms, sliced
- Melt 1oz of the butter in a pan and sauté the onion and pepper gently for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, cook for one minute and then add water, vinegar, lemon juice and Worcester sauce. Cook to thicken.
- Add tomato sauce, Oxo cube, sugar and seasoning. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer in open pan for 15 minutes.
- Melt remaining 2oz butter in a pan and brown chicken on all sides. Lift out and place in a shallow casserole dish.
- Add mushrooms to the sauce and pour over chicken. Cook for 45 minutes at gas 4 / 350 elec / 180c or until chicken is tender.
This dish may be frozen.