Carbonnade of Beef
- 15 minutes
- 1 3/4 hours
- 1 ½ lb braising steak, trimmed and cut into 2" slices
- 1 tbsp flour
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 2oz streaky bacon, rinded and diced
- 2oz butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ pint brown ale or Guinness
- ½ pint beef stock
- 1 tsp French Mustard (leave out if using on bread)
- Bouquet garni
- Chopped parsley
- 8 slices French bread
- 4 tsp French mustard
- Toss steak in seasoned flour.
- Brown bacon in butter and oil.
- saute onions in a frying pan, then brown the beef on both sides, and place in a casserole with the onions.
- Sprinkle remaining flour in the pan. Add ale, stck, and scrape juices from pan.
- Add to casserole with seasoning. Cook, covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until tender, in the oven at 180°c, 350°F, gas mark 4.
- Remove bouquet garnet. Taste and adjust seasoning and consistency if desired.
- Place French bread, spread with mustard, on the top. Cook uncovered for a further 15-20 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
30-35 minutes at 180°c to reheat.