Borrowdale Tea Bread
- 1 1/2 - 2 hours
- 9oz plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1lb mixed fruit
- 1oz melted margarine
- 12 tbsp strong tea
- 1 beaten egg
- 6oz soft brown sugar
- Soak fruit overnight in cold tea.
- Next day stir in sugar, beaten egg, and melted margarine.
- Fold in sieved flour and bicarb, and mix well. Turn into a 2lb greased and lined loaf tin.
- Bake for 1 1/2 - 2 hours at Gas 4, 350° elec, 180°c until firm to the touch. If getting too brown put some greaseproof on top. Allow to cool before turning out.
Will keep well in tin, or freezes.