- 30 minutes
- 1 hour 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1lb braising steak - trimmed and cubed
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp flour
- ½ pint beef stock
- 1oz butter
- 1 onion - peeled and diced
- 8oz carrots - scrubbed and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- Good pinch of thyme
- 14oz can tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 potato - peeled and diced
- 8 small onions - peeled
- 1 tbsp soured cream
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a fairly high heat and fry the meat until brown on all sides.
- Reduce the heat, sprinkle with paprika and flour, turn the meat over to absorb the flour.
- After about 2-3 mins pour the stock into the frying pan and stir gently.
- Pour into a casserole with the meat and meat particles.
- Rinse the pan, melt the butter and sweat the onions and carrots gently over a low heat.
- Add herbs, tomatoes, purée, lemon juice and seasoning.
- The potato can be made into balls or diced at this stage and added to the tomato mixture.
- Pour tomato mixture over the meat, cover casserole and cook in the oven, 160C, 325F, gas mark 3, for 1 hour. Remove casserole, add small onions and return for a further 45 minutes.
- Before serving remove bay leaf, taste and adjust seasoning, stir in soured cream and sprinkle with parsley.
If freezing don't add salt until ready to use. Salt toughens meat.