Apricot Brandied Trifle
An alternate end to your christmas meal, perhaps not as traditional as a pudding but boozy and filling none the less.
- 3 tablespoons Apricot Jam
- 1 15oz can Apricot halves
- 5 floz Whipped Cream
- 3 tablespoons Brandy
- Toasted Almonds
- 10 floz Single Cream (½ pint)
- 2oz Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- Vanilla Essence
- Cut sponges in half, spread with jam and then cut into cubes. Place in the bottom of a trifle dish.
- Drain apricots, reserve a few to decorate. Slice the rest and place over the sponges.
- Make brandy up to 5 floz with apricot juice and pour over sponges.
- Make custard by whisking the cream, sugar and eggs together with a few drops of vanilla essence. Place the basin over a pan of hot water. Heat and stir until custard thickens. Pour hot custard over trifle and leave to go cold.
- Spread whipped cream over the top, decorate with toasted almonds and reserved apricots.
This recipe is equally succesful using 1lb raspberries instead of the apricots, and raspberry jam instead of apricot. The brandy is made up to 5floz with orange juice.