Apple, Sausage and Bacon Rolls
Sausage rolls are often very bland and quite a bore on the buffet table. These rolls are tasty and make a pleasant change from the usual ones.
- 40 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 1oz butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 2oz smoked bacon, chopped
- 1lb pork sausagemeat
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 level tablespoons clear honey
- 1 x 13g puff pastry
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Melt butter in a small pan. Add onion and saute until soft but not brown.
- Add bacon, cook a few minutes then cool.
- Put sausagemeat in a basin and grate in the apple. Add herbs and seasoning.
- Add cooled onion mix to sausagemeat. Stir in honey. Mix well.
- Divide pastry into two and roll each piece into a long strip, about 10" x 6".
- Brush down long edges of pastry with beaten egg. Take half the sausage and form into a long roll to go down the length of the pastry. Fold over and seal the edge.
- Brush with egg and cut each roll into 12 pieces. Bake on a dampened baking tray for 20 minutes at Gas 7 / 425 elec / 220c until puffed and golden.
Can be frozen. Maximum time in freezer, 3 months.